Mountain Tower in 1923
courtesy Jack Kelley)
as a temporary station in 1911, the lookout appears to have been on the roof of
the summit hotel built in 1908. This hotel replaced what seems to have been a
40' observation tower built about 1877. The summit had been used as a survey station
by Professor Hitchcock in 1860. The mountain hotel burned in 1923, and in 1926
a new 80' steel tower was put in place. The station remained in service until
1981 and was removed soon afterward.
photo was taken during the 1959-1960 biennium when an adjacent radio tower fell
on the cab in a windstorm. Exact date of the incident is unknown.