courtesy Iris Baird)
Mountain or Hill: Smarts
above sea level: 3240 FT
Tower Structure Height: 41'
First date of
Operating Agency: NH Forestry Sevice
1915 - 1973,
station was established in 1915 by the NH Forestry Commission. At various times
the Dartmouth Outing Club made repairs, and to another tower to the east. Between
1932 and 1934 the Dartmouth Outing Club rebuilt the tower and cabin. The station
was reestablished in 1939 with a 41' steel tower by International Derrick Co.
Although it was proposed that the tower be taken down and reassembled for a display
at the Eastern States Exposition in 1951, this didn't happen. In 1957 the station
was reopened by act of the NH Legislature. It remained in service until 1980,
when the site was transferred to the NH Department of Public Works and Highways.
The cabin was transferred to DOC. In 1996 it was placed on the NHLR as US 157
NH 3, with cooperation from the White Mountain National Forest, and Dartmouth.
may be the only NH fire tower that was preserved by legislative action.