Prospect Tower in 1942
courtesy Jack Kelley)
1941 - present.
stone tower was built in 1912 by John Wingate Weeks, author of the Weeks Act,
on his summer estate. His children gave the property to the State of New Hampshire
in 1941 with the provision that the tower be used for fire detection and as an
observatory for the public. At that time 15' were added to the tower to make an
enclosed observer's room, and to cut out a small blind spot. The deed of gift
provided that this was the only structure on the mountain which could not be removed.
The entire summit area is on the National register of Historic Places as the Weeks
Estate. The tower was placed on the NHLR in 1992 as US 43 NH 02.