Chocorua camp circa 1920's
courtesy Jack Kelley)
this summit is open, there was never a tower. The observer had a table on a post
on which to place his map and alidade. It was transferred to the USFS in 1926.
At that time, there was opposition locally to building any sort of tower on the
summit since it would detract from the view, so the station was moved to Middle
Sister in 1927.